Yesterday was the Daytona 500, so we enjoyed a nice southern style dinner of Chicken and Dumplings. My family recipe calls for the long, rolled out dumplings, which I will try next time. While the race didn’t turn out as exciting as it could have, the dinner was wonderful!
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
1 large roasting chicken (3-4 lbs), cut up
2 bay leaves
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 ½ cup sweet peas
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon thyme
Ground black pepper
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
¼ cup minced fresh herb leaves such as parsley
¾ cup buttermilk
1 large egg
* In an electric pressure cooker, cover chicken pieces and bay leaves with water and cook on high for 20 minutes. Allow steam to slow release.
* Remove chicken from water and cool until able to handle. Remove meat from bones & skin. Shred.
* Strain broth and skim fat. Save bay leaves and reserve 5 cups, save remained for another use.
* In large stockpot, melt butter, whisk in flour and thyme until smooth. Add chicken broth, vegetables, shredded chicken, and bay leaves. Simmer, covered, until veggies are tender.
* Using food processor, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, herbs, & salt. Add butter slowly, pulsing to mix. In a separate bowl, whisk egg & buttermilk. Slowly pour into food processor while running.
* Using large scoop, drop batter onto simmering liquid leaving space for growth. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, until cooked through. Do not open until you think they are done! Test using toothpick.