Granmonnie’s Tea Cakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (yes, they do make organic!)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups self-rising flour
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream sugar, butter, and shortening.
- Add eggs and extracts and mix well.
- Slowly add flour, using just enough that you can roll the dough out.
- Let dough rest in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Using a floured work surface and a floured rolling pin, roll out dough and cut with desired cookie cutters.
- Bake on a parchment lined or greased cookie sheet at 350 until the tops are firm. These cookies do not typically brown, so do not just judge by color.