Oatmeal Molasses Bread
adapted from The Williams Sonoma Baking Book
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup (4oz) warm water
- 2 cups (16oz) buttermilk, room temp.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (5 1/2 oz) molasses
- 1 cup (5oz) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (2oz) old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz) fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (1/2 oz) instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup (3/4 oz) toasted wheat germ
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 oz) white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 oz) bread flour, extra as needed
- In a bowl, sprinkle the year ans sugar over the water and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the buttermilk, butter, molasses, and wheat flour. Beat on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the yeast mixture, oats, cornmeal, potato flakes, wheat germ, and salt, and beat for 1 minute.
- Beat in the white wheat flour & bread flour, 1/2 (2 1/2 oz) cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the bowl sides.
- Switch to the dough hook. Knead on low speed, adding bread flour 1 tbsp at a time if the dough sticks, until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, then knead for 1 minute longer. The dough should be smooth but slightly tacky when pressed.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled deep bowl, turning to coat. Cover loosely and let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Lightly grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 (or one 10 x 5, 1 1/2 lb.) loaf pan.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide in half (if making 2 loaves). Pat into a 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Beginning at the narrow end, tightly roll up each rectangle to make a loaf the length of the pan. Pinch the ends and long seam to seal. Place the loaves, seam side down, in the prepared pans. Cover loosely and let rise until about 1 inch above the rim of each pan, 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake until the loaves pull away from the pan sides, 30-35 minutes.
- Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.