One of my friend’s has been raving about Barefoot Contessa’s new book How Easy is That. I decided to give it a try when another friend came for dinner. This simple, fast bolognese didn’t disappoint! I can’t imagine I’ll ever slave for hours over the stove again to make a hearty meat sauce!
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa, How Easy is That?
•2 tbsp olive oil
•1 pound ground meat (I’ve used bison & beef)
•1 tbsp dried oregano (or a bunch of fresh- can you ever have too many fresh herbs?)
•¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
•1 ¼ cups dry red wine, divided
•1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
•2 tbsp tomato paste
•2 tsp salt
•1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
•¼ tsp ground nutmeg
•¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
•¼ cup heavy cream
•½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meet and cook, crumbling the meat until the meat is no longer pink and has started to brown.
- Add oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour 1 cup of the wine into the skillet and stir to scrape up any browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper, stirring until combined.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg, basil, cream, and the remaining ¼ cup wine to the sauce and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.