I found these adorable vampire bite cookies on Pinterest and knew that I had to recreate them for our Halloween party. I mixed up a batch of Forrest’s Grandmother’s Tea Cake recipe, rolled and shaped them, and ended up with what some party goers called very odd looking footballs.
When you put the pictures side-by-side, you can see the resemblance. But when my version was sitting on my dessert table, everyone was wondering what they were… Oh well, at least they were tasty!
Granmonnie’s Tea Cakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract or 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (yes, they do make organic!)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups self rising flour
- Cream sugar, butter, and shortening.
- Add eggs and extracts and mix well.
- Slowly add flour, using just enough that you can roll the dough out.
- Using a floured work surface and a floured rolling pin, roll out dough and cut with desired cookie cutters.
- Bake on a parchment lined or greased cookie sheet at 350 until the tops are firm, 6-9 minutes depending on thickness. These cookies do not typically brown, so do not just judge by color.
- Let cool and decorate as desired.