What do you make when your husband requests dessert, but you’re fresh out of eggs? The first thing that came to my mind was pie! I had a pound or so of apples on hand, but I was afraid they would create a skimpy pie. After putting on my thinking cap, I decided to try my hand at an Apple Turnover.
Spiced Apple Turnover
Adapted from Bon Appetit Just Desserts
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4-8 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 1/2 pounds cooking apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp dried currants
- 1 tsp spiced rum
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (it could’ve used a smidge more)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 tsp plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough blade, pulse flour, sugar, wheat germ, and salt. Add butter, pulsing between additions until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 4 tbsp ice cold water, pulsing until just combined. Add additional water until dough ball just forms. Divide dough into 6 balls, mine weighed 2 1/4 oz each. Wrap separately in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients through lemon juice. Let stand 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Preheat oven to 400. On a floured work surface, roll out dough balls individually (leaving remaining balls in fridge) into an 8 inch circle. Scoop 1/2 cup apple filling onto bottom half of the round, leaving a border around the edges. Dot filling with 1 tsp butter. Lightly brush edges with juice in the filling bowl. Fold dough over filling and roll edges towards center to seal. Repeat for remaining 5 dough balls.
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut 2 slits in the top of each turnover to allow steam to escape. Melt remaining butter and mix with remaining juices from filling. Brush butter mixture over turnovers and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake turnovers until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.