For years I thought sweet potatoes were giant tubers topped with ice cream scooper sized mounds of butter and cinnamon sugar. Then I discovered the simplicity of Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Whether cut into fries, chips, chunks, or wedges; served crispy or soft; these are a delicious, naturally sweet side dish. I once served these to a friend who exclaimed after clearing his plate “I don’t even like sweet potatoes!”
|Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
-2 large sweet potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. For crispier potatoes, preheat the oven & baking sheet to 500°F.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes, removing any tough spots. Cut into desired shape, trying to keep the size uniform throughout.
3. In a large bowl, combine potatoes & oil, tossing to coat. Use your hands to ensure all pieces are thoroughly coated.
4. Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet. If you are making chips or fries, use a wire cooking rack, coated with additional oil, to allow heat to penetrate both sides of the potatoes. Top with freshly ground pepper & salt.
5. Bake for 20 minutes & check to see how done the are. Continue baking until desired crispness. I like mine a little soft, hubby likes his crispy, so I usually cut two different sized potatoes.