- 1½ lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside.
- Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. Mash this squash with the back of a fork. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- Add chicken thighs, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and allow to cool enough to shred.
- Return the saucepan and chicken broth to the stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add salt, pepper; oregano, tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, and mashed butternut squash. Stir to combine.
- Shred the chicken and stir into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5-10 minutes.