Adapted from King Arthur Flour
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Baker’s Special Sugar or granulated sugar
- To make the cake: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease two 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pans or one tube or bundt-style pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Add the salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder, and beat for 5 minutes; the batter will be stiff.
- Add the vanilla and lemon oil, and 1 egg. Beat well. Continue to add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. When done, the batter will be very fluffy. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes (for the tube or bundt-style pans) or 35 to 40 minutes (for the two loaf pans), or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze: Just before the cake is done, combine the lemon juice and sugar and heat over low heat (or in the microwave) until the sugar is dissolved; don’t let the mixture boil.
- Remove the cake from the oven; allow it to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn it out onto a rack or serving platter.
- Poke the top of the cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick, and gradually drizzle the glaze over it, pausing occasionally to let