Thank goodness for Two Peas and Their Pod! This is the first yogurt recipe that I have found that actually turns out like I’d hoped. I’m thinking I’ll just use this as a base for the flavors I’d like to have.
Two Peas and Their Pod
42 ounces fresh milk
6 oz. plain yogurt
1. Pour milk into a high-sided saucepan. Place a candy thermometer on the side of the pan. Heat the milk until 170 degrees. This will take about 1-2 minutes. The milk will start to climb the side of the pan.
2. Remove pan from heat and allow the milk to cool to lukewarm-110 degrees. To speed up the process you can place the pan in cold water.
3. In a bowl, add the yogurt and stir in some of the milk. Whisk well. Make sure the yogurt is dissolved. Add the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into the jars of the yogurt maker. Follow the yogurt maker’s instructions. It typically takes 10-12 hours, the longer it matures, the thicker it is.
5. When the yogurt is done resting, chill it in the fridge with the lids on the jars. The yogurt will stay good for 10 days.